The British National Formulary (BNF) is the first choice for concise medicines information. Trusted by healthcare professionals across the world to support confident decision-making at the point of care.
The new edition (BNF 80) provides up-to-date guidance on prescribing, dispensing, and administering medicines, plus legal and professional guidelines.
Extensive content updates in the BNF 80 edition include:
New monographs on
• Beovu ® [brolucizumab] for neovascular (wet) age-related macular degeneration
• Cytotect ® [cytomegalovirus immunoglobulin] for prophylaxis of cytomegalovirus infection in patients taking immunosuppressants, particularly transplant recipients
• Mayzent ® [siponimod] for multiple sclerosis [secondary progressive, with active disease]
• Mulpleo ® [lusutrombopag] for thrombocytopenia [in patients with chronic liver disease undergoing invasive procedures]
• Staladex ® [leuprorelin acetate] for prostate cancer
• Zalkya ® [dienogest] for endometriosis
MHRA advice on:
• Etonogestrel (Nexplanon ®) contraceptive implants: new insertion site to reduce rare risk of neurovascular injury and implant migration
• Ondansetron: small increased risk of oral clefts following use in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy
• Ulipristal acetate (Esmya ®): suspension of the licence due to risk of serious liver injury
• Sodium valproate and Valproic acid: updated Pregnancy Prevention Programme
• Tofacitinib (Xeljanz ®): new measures to minimise risk of venous thromboembolism and of serious and fatal infections
• Glucagon [update to age ranges for hypoglycaemia].
• Sodium fluoride [updating dosing for prophylaxis of dental caries].
Updated guidance on Pneumococcal vaccine and Yellow fever vaccine in-line with Public Health England recommendations, management of hypertension and management of impetigo.
BNF 80 is an essential book, it provides you with:
Up-to-date information on prescribing, dispensing, and administering medicines.
Authoritative, independent guidance on best practice enabling you to select safe and effective medicines.
Information, you know you can trust for quality, reliability and independence.
Everything you need at your fingertips, all in one book.
The BNF79 is also still available, choose edition from dropdown menu!
We also have available BNF for Children please follow this link: