Tropical Medicine Microscopy
Published by Tropical Health Technology, 2016, 2018, Update 2022
Pages: 36 Colour plates: 137 Size: 292×210 mm
Weight 245 g
Companion book to Tropical Medicine Point-of-Care Testing
Front and back covers are laminated for durability and ease of cleaning.
Use and care of a microscope
- Parasitic diseases: Malaria, African trypanosomiasis, Chagas’ disease, leishmaniasis, lymphatic filariasis, loiasis, Mansonella infections, onchocerciasis, Cyclospora, Cystoisospora, Cryptosporidium, amoebiasis, giardiasis, soil transmitted helminths, intestinal schistosomiasis, foodborne trematodiases, balantidial dysentery, paragonimiasis, trichomoniasis, urogenital schistosomiasis..
- Features used to identify helminth eggs.
- Relative sizes of faecal parasites.
- Bacterial and fungal infections: Meningitis, staphylococci, streptococci, pneumococci, tuberculosis, sexually transmitted infections including gonorrhoea, syphilis, donovanosis, candidiasis, bacterial vaginosis. Campylobacter infection, cholera, leptospirosis, bartonellosis, plague, relapsing fever, leprosy, ringworm, toxoplasmosis, pneumococcal pneumonia, talaromycosis, Pneumoocystis pneumonia, histoplasmosis, aspergillosis.
- Pathogens associated with HIV infection.
- Urine microscopy: Pus cells and RBCs, spermatozoa, casts, crystals.
- Blood disorders: Normal RBC morphology, anaemia, sickle cell disease, haemoglobin C disease, thalassaemia, G6PD deficiency haemolysis, reticulocyte preparation, schistocytes, RBC inclusions, haemolytic disease of the newborn, basophilic stippling, spherocytes. Morphology of normal white blood cells, pyogenic bacterial infection, myelomatosis, reactive lymphocytes, leukaemia, Burkitt’s. lymphoma.
- Techniques: Field staining, Giemsa staining, Leishman staining, Ziehl-Neelsen to detect Crytosporidium, Gram staining, Ziehl-Neelsen to detect AFB, Auramine-phenol staining to detect AFB, acridine orange staining, CSF cell count, examination of skin snips for Onchocerca volvulus microfilariae, examining CSF for trypanosomes, manual counting of WBCs, lyzed blood concentration to detect microfilariae, microscopical examination of urine, examination of faecal specimens.